A new rule that says players must be at least one year removed from high school before entering the NBA is "the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since I've been coaching," says Texas Tech coach Bob Knight. Instituted last year by the NBA, the rule means exceptionally talented players must wait at least a year rather than jumping to the pros from high school.
Many coaches have said the rule helps the college game, because it lets schools showcase the players for at least one season and improve their program. But Knight, the winningest NCAA men's coach of all time (886 victories), explained why he dislikes the rule.
"Because now you can have a kid come to school for a year and play basketball and he doesn't even have to go to class," Knight said Monday. "He certainly doesn't have to go to class the second semester. I'm not exactly positive about the first semester. But he would not have to attend a single class the second semester to play through the whole second semester of basketball. That, I think, has a tremendous effect on the integrity of college sports."
From a former student-athlete's perspective, I would not enjoy being associated with "student-athletes" who never went to class and didn't have to bother with the unique experience of time management, organization, and responsibility in addition to a demanding athletic schedule of practicing and playing.
Do you think there should be a limiting rule on high school athletes who are on their way to the NBA?
(Photograph provided by Getty Images, taken by Ronald Martinez)